1. Do I need a passport to go to Costa Rica?Passport is mandatory with 6 months of validity.
2. Do I need a visa to go to Costa Rica?Depending on your country of your origin you may enter to Costa Rica without a visa. Some countries as USA, Canada, Russia, Argentina, Brasil and the majority of the European countries don´t need visa. Please review the following link for more information www.migracion.go.cr/extranjeros/visas.html
3. If I decided to stay longer, can I get a visa while I am there?For a longer stay you have to leave the country for 72 hours, upon returning to Costa Rica the visa will be renewed automatically for 90 days. Please review the following link for more information www.migracion.go.cr/extranjeros/visas.html
4. Do I need enter and exit ticket to go to Costa Rica?Yes, all visitors must have and entry and exit ticket, whether it is by air or by land it is a requirement to enter to the country.
5. What kind of inoculations do I have to take to Costa Rica?
The Costa Rican authorities will demand that all travelers coming from the following countries (Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Bolivia, Venezuela, Brazil, Peru, Colombia and Ecuador as well as the Republic of Guyana) have a yellow fever vaccination certificate. This vaccine has to be taken at least 10 days prior arriving to Costa Rica.
6. How much is the departure tax?The departure tax is US $ 29,00 and can be paid in US dollars, colones or with credit cards (VISA). Please check with your airline because some airlines are including the departure tax in the ticket rate.
7. Do I need an international driver´s license to drive in Costa Rica?No, you can drive with your normal driver´s license valid for 03 months.
8. What is the currency in Costa Rica?The Costa Rican currency is called Colon, but US dollars are widely accepted around the country. All major credit cards are accepted around the country. You can find ATM machines distributed throughout the country.
10. What is the sales tax in Costa Rica?Sales tax is 13%, in restaurants adds a service tax of 10% if service is more than satisfactory you may leave an additional tip.
11. Is the water drinkable in Costa Rica?Yes, the water is potable in most of the country. In areas around the coast is recommend drink bottled water.
12. Do I need an electric adapter?Outlets are 110V and 220V, with standards USA two prong plugs.
13. Are the National Parks wheelchair accessible?Only Poas Volcano National Park and Carara National Park are wheelchair accessible.
15. What number should I dial in case of emergency?Dial 911 for immediate assistance.
16. Can I use my cellular phone in Costa Rica?
If you want to use your cell phone in Costa Rica it have to be unlocked must be a quad-band GSM or 3G hand set at least have an 850 or 1800 mHz. If you are from USA please take in considerations that most of the USA phones use 950 mHz Motorola and Sony Erickson are brands that have models with the band required in Costa Rica. You can buy a prepaid SIM card at any telecommunication company with offices throughout the country.