Costa Rica covers 0.03% of the planet’s surface but has the privilege of being the habitat of 5% of the biodiversity of the world. Its wide variety of flora and fauna embraces : 9,000 kinds of flowering plants, including more than 1,300 species of orchids 850 species of birds identified, which is more than are found in all United States, Canada and Northern half of Mexico combined. 209 species of mammals 383 species of reptiles and amphibians 2,000 species of butterflies 4,500 types of moths
Ticos is the colloquial term for the Costa Ricans, well known for being hospitable, educated and happy people. The origin of the term Ticos derives for the use of the diminutive ¨tico¨ instead ¨ito¨ to indicate something very small.
79,3years (Women: 81,8 and Men : 76,9) Costa Rica is the Latin American country with the highest life expectancy when born 77,75 years and the lowest mortality index: 10.82%.
Official: Spanish, but English widely spoken.
The Costa Rican Social Security Service (CCSS) is a public service institution that has accomplished important goals regarding health issues, including pensions and social security. This institution offers coverage and integrated health services to the 94% of the population.
- January 01st: New Year´s Day
- April 11th : Juan Santamaria Day ( National Hero)
- Holy Thursday and Good Friday
- May 01st : International Labor Day
- July 25th : Annexation of Guanacaste Day
- August 02nd : Virgin of the Angels Day
- August 15th : Mother´s Day
- September 15th : Independence Day
- October 12th : Christopher Columbus Day
- December 25th : Christmas Day